View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Democracy in action. Hah! 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Democracy in action. Hah!
Apparently, there is some voting taking place today. For the past few years,England has been run by foreigners. Maybe now they'll clear off back to Edinburgh.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:21 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Democracy in action. Hah!
Zen Dog wrote:
Apparently, there is some voting taking place today. For the past few years,England has been run by foreigners. Maybe now they'll clear off back to Edinburgh.

Was the referendum today?

When will you know the results?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:

Where your foreigners from Edinburgh?

I am confused!!

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail

I was joking Lannah. When the UK got devolution England wasn't included. This means that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland got their own parliaments none of which have English MP's. The UK parliament is in London (Metropolitan not the City). Actually, it is in the City of Westminster which is a borough of metropolitan London. The UK parliament has MP's from all over the UK. The Scottish parliament voted to abolish tuition fees for students in Scotland but when the issue came up in Westminster for English students, Scots MP's carried the vote the other way so ours still pay. They also pay if they study in Scotland. And the referendum on staying in the EU was yesterday. The leavers won by 4% and the Prime Minister David Cameron has resigned. Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU so I can see another independence referendum coming there.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:01 am
Profile E-mail

Did you go and vote?
I know Malcolm did, he did not want to come back to the states until he went and voted.

I just saw the results of the referendum!!

Will you actually be able to get your country back! I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:03 am
Profile E-mail

It's not the country I grew up in. It has changed so much that I no longer care what happens. I think the UK is finished. It would have been finished if it had stayed in because it would have been regionalised and now it is leaving I think Scotland will go its own way and reapply for EU membership. So my joke wasn't really a joke. One day there will be no Scots MP's in Westminster affecting how the English live.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:19 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
It's not the country I grew up in. It has changed so much that I no longer care what happens. I think the UK is finished. It would have been finished if it had stayed in because it would have been regionalised and now it is leaving

---I think Scotland will go its own way and reapply for EU membership.
So my joke wasn't really a joke. One day there will be no Scots MP's in Westminster affecting how the English live.

What is your take on Scotland leaving the UK and joining the UE?

Would it benefit or hurt the UK?
Does Scotland provide income for the UK in a way that it actually helps the UK?

I'm thinking of Barcelona.
It wants to become independent of Spain, but that wold hurt Spain horribly, for Barcelona is a huge economic hub, the biggest in Spain. Grows everything and exports everything, practically.

But I do not know if that is the case with Scotland and you all.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Scotland is subsidised by England. The kingdoms were politically united in 1707 to form the UK. If Scotland leaves, there will be no UK. This will probably pose a dilemma for Northern Ireland. Fighting all those years to be part of something that no longer exists. In any case, they want to stay in the EU just like their neighbours to the south.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:22 am
Profile E-mail

I like Barcelona. Been there several times. The last time I went just to see where George Orwell fought the communists.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:31 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
I like Barcelona. Been there several times. The last time I went just to see where George Orwell fought the communists.

Cool!!

I went with my daughter and niece in 2012.
My daughter fell in love with it and did not want to return to the US!
She would really love to live over there, but her husband does not speak Spanish!!
She's bilingual (English-Spanish).
That is one thing she did not think through!

I want to go back, I'm trying to convince my friend Angela to travel with me!
I usually travel with mom, but she is old and has mobility limitations, so what we can actually do is very limited.
And as you know, European cities and buildings were built a long time ago, so many things are not accessible to people with mobility issues.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:22 pm
Profile E-mail