View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:22 am

The steel industry 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post The steel industry
The collapse of the British steel industry is one of a continuous collapse of our country's manufacturing base. Successive Tory and New Labour governments have shown little faith in our manufacturing capabilities and more interested in selling off our assets to overseas asset strippers and investors. Whilst they oppose state ownership, they are happy to allow overseas companies to take over or have a stake in our industries, including state owned Chinese companies. They are also happy to pay out social security benefits to those made unemployed rather than prop up and invest in industries.

Much is being made on the import of cheap Chinese steel, and I think Jeremy Corbyn was right to criticise David Cameron for not including demands to tackle this as part of his negotiations with EU leaders. Perhaps he was more interested in the balance of his offshore bank accounts to worry about the bank accounts of ordinary workers.

The loss of a major industry not only puts people out of work, it takes money out of the local economy and contributes to destroying lives and communities. People incur health problems and crime increases. These costs. the 'people costs' are not considered when the financial calculations of supporting an industry is considered too high.

Although there is possibly a financial saviour in the pipeline, I still fear the priority will be on maximising profits and not taking care of the community and people. I will still favour nationalisation of the plant or possibly a joint nationalised/workers co-operative venture.

But what role is there for churches in the collapse of the steel industry?
Like the Trade Union movement, churches are there for ordinary people, caring for their lives, and I hope locally they have spoken out against the possible closure. Churches across the country have been involved in establishing food banks, and I think if jobs are lost there will be a need for more hands to help with this and care for those who may lose their homes. Many religions always preach they are 'saving people', this does not only have to be from a biblical angle about 'sin' but from one whereby they can help save them from hunger, drifting into depression or possibly worse.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:57 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: The steel industry
The steel industry should have been saved.
We used to be an industrious country, however foreign manufacturing is sought after now.
We spend money on foreign aid but not in our own country. I think we should look after ourselves more.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seen the tories destroy the steel, coal, car, industries. Seen privatisation of BT, gas, electricity, bus service, railways, TSB, and a gradual encroachment on the nhs and libraries. You know I do not thank the tories and wish they would emigrate.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:22 pm
Profile E-mail

The Labour party are just as guilty.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:30 pm
Profile E-mail

Inner Peace wrote:
The steel industry should have been saved.
We used to be an industrious country, however foreign manufacturing is sought after now.
We spend money on foreign aid but not in our own country. I think we should look after ourselves more.

I absolutely agree with you!
I do not see the point to sending jobs abroad, to employ people in other countries, to grow their economies, to raise their standard of living WHILE neglecting our own people!
Makes
NO
sense!!!

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:34 am
Profile E-mail

It makes complete sense to the global corporations who are really running things. Governments are just a stage prop. A distraction to fool the masses. If you want to see the future they dream of, watch Rollerball (James Caan).

Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:13 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
It makes complete sense to the global corporations who are really running things. Governments are just a stage prop. A distraction to fool the masses. If you want to see the future they dream of, watch Rollerball (James Caan).

I do know that big companies run the world.
I live in America, remember...
Where everything is designed to protect the interests and earnings of the corporations.

Here, in the MBA programs, they teach the students that "greed is good" ...

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:33 pm
Profile E-mail

Absolutely no moral compass. Perhaps that is the problem? You know. With what's happening.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:07 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Absolutely no moral compass. Perhaps that is the problem? You know. With what's happening.

When I worked at Concordia Univ in Chicago, I had an assistant, Mari.
She had been my student worker and I hired her when she finished her undergraduate degree in Business.
While she worked for me,
she did her MBA, that's where I learned about the "greed is good" thing.
She was so horrified when she told me that.
And she said the same thing you did, she said: this is probably why everything is bad and things go wrong!

All the Chinese MBAs came here to the US to do their graduate degrees in business.
Now there is a Communist China with a Capitalist economy!
The worse of both worlds!
No rights for the people.
And all the rights, profits and benefits for the corporations and their CEOs.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:30 am
Profile E-mail

I always thought that when we handed over Hong Kong in '97 that that would be the end of the place. It seems to be that it went the other way round. China has become more like Hong Kong. Do you know, the Chinese were not expecting to get the island. It was a complete surprise to them. The 99 year lease was only on the New Territories which are on the mainland.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:11 am
Profile E-mail