View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:23 pm

Article on separation of religion from the state. 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Article on separation of religion from the state.
I know.
I was being silly!
:grin:

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail

As for driving, you might be surprised by the amount of countries that changed from the left to the right. I had a Chilean Spanish teacher who would not believe me when I said his country used to but you can find it on the interweb. For many years people in Spain had to get off buses on the dangerous side. Austria was half and half until a chap took some of his mates home to meet the family. Hong Kong drives on the left but strangely Gibralter doesn't. Malta does but oddly, so does Cyprus. When I was a kid they made a big thing about Norway changing over. I'm surprised really that Canada doesn't drive on the left just to be different from the U.S. If you want to annoy a Canadian just ask him what part of America he is from. And then duck.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:13 am
Profile E-mail

LOL!
I understand Canadian's frustrations when people ask them "what part of America are you from?".
It's the same issue for Latin Americans.
I find it funny when I go to the UK and people ask me "You are from America?" and I tell them "I'm from the States" or "I'm from the U.S." because America is a continent. Not just a country.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:21 am
Profile E-mail

Tricky one really. The States, the U.S., the United States of America are all fairly non specific terms in themselves. Brasil is a country of united states but is just referred to as Brasil. If people are talking about the continent and not a country then they usually say North or South America. Latin America bridges the divide. Mexico is in North America and Latin America. I recently heard a commentator refer to the three presidents of NAFTA. Something else to upset Les Canadiennes. People say 'America' meaning the country and most compis mentis people know what they mean. So I think that's all right. Do you know that the French subtitle Quebecois tv programs.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:46 pm
Profile E-mail

I did know that Quebec continues to be bilingual. It's not a bad thing. I'm a language and culture teacher, so I do not frown on multi-lingualism.

Also, in Latin America we teach that America is 1 continent.
The entire thing was one large land mass. The straight that divides it is man-made, it's artificial.
In the U.S. we teach that it is 2 continents, and it leaves Central America in limbo-land.

Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail

I meant that in France, French Canadian TV programmes are subtitled in French. The French are quite special about their version of the language. The Académie Francaise dictates what is or is not correct. Despite that, the French still say things like Le Weekend instead of Fin de Semaine as most other francophone countries do. The Belgians and Swiss make fun of them for saying quatre vingt instead of huiteant and other archaic expressions.

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
I meant that in France, French Canadian TV programmes are subtitled in French. The French are quite special about their version of the language. The Académie Francaise dictates what is or is not correct. Despite that, the French still say things like Le Weekend instead of Fin de Semaine as most other francophone countries do. The Belgians and Swiss make fun of them for saying quatre vingt instead of huiteant and other archaic expressions.

LOL!
Got it!
I misunderstood.

The dialects will be different though. If you have Mexican soap operas shown in other countries, there will be a slew of vocabulary and idioms that will not be understood, though!

I can see this happening though. A Mexican telenovela (soap opera) on Puerto Rican TV, with subtitles in the Puerto Rican Spanish dialect! It'd be hilarious!! But I can see it happening!

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:08 pm
Profile E-mail