View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:20 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Evolution Vs Creationism in the UK 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Evolution Vs Creationism in the UK
Over here, most (I cannot say all) people who believe in creationism do not believe in evolution.
So when it comes to those people, their version of creationism is not evolving.

My mother and I were talking this morning about the plight and extinction of the Puerto Rican parrots.
In the 1960s a biologist/agronomist researched them.
He discovered that the Puerto Rican parrots only built their nests in one type of tree.
His desire was to plant trees of that specific species to ensure viability.
Other people of his time did not believe in any of this.
It was all hooey.
Animals do not go extinct, deforestation does not endanger animals, blah blah blah.

Well... fast forward 21 years and all the parrots are gone.

But, someone had brought Dominican parrots over here.
And those little guys, who had been removed from their natural environment, started nesting in any type of tree, any which way.
Were not picky, and were willing to adapt to the new environment into which they had been transplanted.
They were able to change.
The change guaranteed survival and future generations.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:41 am
Profile E-mail

I was thinking of all the creation stories that came before. The Jews and Christians got theirs from the Mesopotamians. Sort of how Saturnalia evolved into Christmas. Shame about the parrots. And the Passenger pigeon. And the Dodo. And that big Emu thing in New Zealand.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:26 pm
Profile E-mail

I think all religions have creation stories.
And they are very very very old!
I used to teach "Geography of the Latin American World" and when I started teaching the course, it did not have a section on Spain and the pre-Columbian peoples.
So I added one.

I took an excerpt from the Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Mayas, and added it to our class.
I had the students compare it to the creation story in the Judeo-Christian tradition.
It was cool to see how there were some elements that were similar,
plus there were some elements that were SO different that it was hard for me to comprehend.

I tried adding some creation stories from the Native Americans/American Indians here in the U.S., but they are so different that I cannot understand them.
I figured if I was the teacher and I could not understand them, then I could not use them in class, for I would not be able to explain anything to the students!

I think that throughout most of human history/experience, people have believed that there was a being or beings that created the Earth and all that is in it.

The not believing in some sort of creator -or creators- is a new thing in the big long chain of human history.
It is mostly a phenomenon of post-modernism.

Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:46 pm
Profile E-mail

A logical chain of regression. Someone made you.

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
A logical chain of regression. Someone made you.

Yup. Exactly.

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:05 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
I had a biology teacher who said she believed in both at the same time. I sat near the door after that. Do you think creationism is evolving?

I think there are all sorts of beliefs.

Some people believe ONLY in Creationism.
Some believe ONLY in Evolution.
Others believe in both, God created the universe, the world and things in it, and animals and people evolve, they adapt.

Others believe we were created by extraterrestrials.
Some believe extraterrestrials did not make us, but brought us here, from some other planet.
I know people who believe that humans evolved because they interbred with aliens, and that is why humans have "junk DNA".

So it really is more complicated than simply creation vs. evolution, and not just in the UK.

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Its difficult to reason with those theories but if God made us then show me God.
If Aliens made us then show me aliens.
Evolution is happening all over. Anyway that is just my take.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:27 am
Profile E-mail

There are lots of pictures of gods and not a few statues. And if you met an alien, would you know? Reality only exists if it is observed. For that you need an observer. This is now a testable fact. An advance on the double slit experiment has shown that a photon that will behave like a particle or a wave depending on if it is observed, will alter its past if the recorder is operated after the photon has left the emitter. i.e. A photon is aimed at the slits and over time behaves like a wave if unobserved. If observed it behaves like a particle. If a camera is placed next to the slits to go off randomly after the photon has been emitted, which means it should be travelling as a wave then it becomes a particle in the past. This calls into question the definition of time. The only rational explanation for an observer, so far, is consciousness. So the next time you want a word with your creator, just look in the bathroom mirror and say, "Hello.............". And as for all the bad stuff, I did say there may be trouble when I get there.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:42 am
Profile E-mail

Here in the States, the creationists go by the pretense that they're talking "Intelligent Design Science." Howe-some-ever, they cannot point to a single peer-reviewed article in any "Journal Of Intelligent Design Science" magazine or other anthology. They also cannot point to any scientific experiments (successful or failed) carried out based on a hypothesis out of intelligent design dogma. Nor can they produce a biology textbook in which every principle of life-sciences is explained out of their dogma, without raising and endless guffaw from people who possess the slightest wit or already have studied biology from actual Scientific texts.

Blessings, both Bright and Dark,
Ananta Androscoggin

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:33 am
Profile E-mail

I'm talking about reality at the quantum level. The rest of it is probably incidental after that. Once you've got a hydrogen atom, anything could happen. And does.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:39 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next