View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Pope resigns 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Pope resigns
Yes, Spike was a one and only. Loved the goons.

Mon May 19, 2014 9:25 am
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
I also hear that there is a shadow that hangs over him too. The news on TV reported that there is a suspicion he may of known about Argentina's torture and killing of citizens under the dictators but was not open about it.
That said there is lots of smiley news readers saying how wonderful he is which I find patronizing. I understand before being Pope he was relatively unknown by the News. Now its how wonderful, how humble, and ordinary he is because he traveled on buses. :eew:

Unfortunately ...
Everyone knew about government kidnappings and torturing during Argentina's Dirty War.
But in Latin America people have very few rights.
And if you complain, you end up kidnapped and tortured yourself!
Argentina "recruited" the medical community to oversee and control the torturing sessions, so that those being tortured would not die prematurely. Doctors didn't want to do it, but if you did not, you would be taken and killed, or your family members.
My son's Nanny, Maria, is from Argentina. (My son is 26 now)
Her uncle was a torturer. That was his official government job.
Everyone in the family knew it.
And they got together as a family and celebrated family holidays and no one ever said or did anything.
How could they? It was an official government position at that time.

The Argentine writer, Ariel Dorfman, presents the medical torture issue in his novela "Death and the Maiden". The kidnapping and torturing issue is explored in the movie: The Official Story. Which also presents the "human trafficking" issues that resulted from the babies being born to women who were tortured while pregnant.

Latin America is, and has always been quite a mess. More of a mess or less of a mess, depending on the location and the decade, but a mess, nevertheless ... sadly.
I have friends that were smuggled out of Chile in crates carrying oranges, they were nailed in them. They were going to be killed, by local government officials, for registering people to vote, and for belonging to a different political party that did not support Pinochet.
I also have a friend from Guatemala (he lives in the US and is married to an American woman) who went back to his hometown, to help his younger brother hand out blankets to poor Indigenous people in the mountains. They were both kidnapped by the local government. My friend Juan was not tortured (probably because they knew he had a US passport) but they did torture his brother.
Juan was released by his jailers in the middle of the night and told to "run for his life". Which he did. He went home to his mother's home, and immediately left Guatemala. His brother was still in prison when Juan left Guatemala.
The movies: El Norte and Motorcycle Diaries present a lot of the issues suffered, and still on going.

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:10 am
Profile E-mail

Terry Gilliam (Monty Python) directed Brazil. A dystopian movie that I always took to be his version of 1984. Made in the same year. If you watch it I think you might get an inkling into the social situation you described. Michael Palin is normal and horrendous at the same time.

Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:36 pm
Profile E-mail

I watched it! When it came out, I was in College. They brought it to the Arts Theatre in Puerto Rico. That version had one ending, the sad ending.
Then YEARS later I saw it here in the US, and the US version had a different ending, it had a happy ending, he and his girl actually ran away.
I could not believe it, so I looked up info on it, and it did turn out that they did make 2 endings with the happy ending intended for the US.

:roll:

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:56 pm
Profile E-mail

I think a happy ending would defeat the point of the story. I once saw a 1984 with a different ending which left me a bit confused at the time as I had read the book at school. I think the last one was the best. Also made in 1984. Richard Burton's last film. With John Hurt.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6