View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:28 am

Nostalgia 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Nostalgia
Youtube.Jimmy Morgan Corrour RETB. Yours truly is the guard.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:49 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Nostalgia
Is that you on :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTLvzl9dNYM

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Yep. The mail bag shot was staged for the camera.I'd already handed it off but they asked us to do it again. A different age and a different world.The train was the Fort William sleepers from London leaving Glasgow Queen St at 05:50.The sleeping cars are at the front,then 2 seats from London (1/2 the train went to Inverness) and then 2 local seats which are hanging off the short platform at Corrour.I'm giving the draw forward hand signal to the driver because there were people wanting off.The 2 girls who decided to jump in the guards door behind me are Jimmy's daughters going shopping in Ft William. We changed crews at Spean Bridge on that one but on the 09:50 we went all the way to the Fort where we went for a pint and a bag of chips.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:06 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have a film star on the forum. :thumbs:

I do not trust computers and wish they would keep some of the human touch on the railways. Trouble is nowadays it is usually on an enquiry service based somewhere across the world and many thousands of miles away.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 am
Profile E-mail

The signals from Didcot to Paddington are now controlled autonomasly by computer just monitored and overridden as required by so called humans.Won't be long before the upgrade reaches Bristol and beyond.And then,you get the wires.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:54 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Soon be no driver being run by Ryanair :aargh:

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:36 pm
Profile E-mail

If they can run the national system like the DLR then scrotes won't have a driver to throw bricks at.Until then management will always resent having to have some expensive mug at the front, to be loathed by all and sundry for ruining their perfect lives.These are not negative waves,they are facts of life which I can substantiate over a few beers but require a fare amount of perspective.Which, perversely, is why I quite like my job.Apart from the bricks.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have heard of the talk of running trains and planes without someone on board at the controls. However, should something go wrong then please give me a human being on the spot to sort things out. I am sure most senior managers can see the financial benefits of having no driver but I just wish people would put most of them on a bus and give me the remote control. :devil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE9B90prADU

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:09 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete, you can experience something similar, if you ever get to London, on the Docklands Light Railway.Like the Japanese line on the Youtube clip it is a closed system which means it doesn't share the track with any other kind of train and maintenance is only carried out when trains aren't running.Also, there is no access to the track by the general public.An open system is multi user,has level crossings,foot crossings,complex junctions,freight yards etc and runs through open countryside.Which is nice.Did you notice also that the Japanese train runs on rubber tyres? Like parts of the Paris Metro.You can tell from the type of track.Guide rails at the side stop it wandering off but there are regular train wheels inside the rubber ones for negotiating point work.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does not the Docklands railway have links with the London underground?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:28 pm
Profile E-mail