View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:19 pm

The planet 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post The planet
What is everyone doing regarding the planet and the environment you live in?
Do you still buy lots of plastics or do you reuse and recycle?
Do those of you with congregations bring the subject into your sermons?
I'm interested. I reuse or regift depending on item, I recycle where possible and I've noticed I am making a difference. I dont buy so much. My bins which get emptied weekly for general refuse has halved but likewise so has my recycle bin which gets emptied fortnightly. Have any of you noticed a difference?

Love, Life and energy to you

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: The planet
I feel we need to act and soon. The big problem is the biggest polluters across the planet are the ones doing nothing. I hope that changes. Even if everyone else goes green then, the USA, Russia, China and India will still affect us all. I find that frightening.

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:32 pm
Profile E-mail

So do I Pete. I've certainly made changes this year and with 2020 looming in minutes I intend to try and do more. Less buying in the first place and more reuse and recycle in the future.

Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:53 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just wish the shops would cut down on plastics and use more home grown products. That would be a good start.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:45 am
Profile E-mail

Though I wasnt around in the 50's or 60's really I do think things were more environmentally friendly then. I dont see why manufacteurers cant do more so shops can then do more too. Fruit doesnt need to be bagged nor does by a plastic wrapped 4 pk of tinned food be cheaper than buying 4 individual tins of the same food the till should be able to put the discount on so people buy the same but dont have the silly plastic wrapper. Things like that. Loo rolls could go back to being wrapped in paper too not plastic. I just pray we find a proper solution soon. We need our rain forest, we need our wild life, we need to be sustainable to live.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is very worrying. The use of plastics has risen. Even things that come in cardboard has plastic seals and wrappers. The whole thing is madness. As a child the only thing I remember being sealed in plastics was playing cards and *****. We used to recycle glass bottles of pop and milk. Fruit was bought in a paper bag. I don't see why it cannot change back.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:08 am
Profile E-mail

Totally agree :grin: but I also worry that there will be consequences even if we were to go back to paper as trees need time and space to grow. I wish there were a simpleness to our lives. I remember being at school and computers were just coming out and they said it would be good as we would be able to do four day weeks at work and not five yet all these years later it seems to me that people are working at least six days and some seven just to try and make ends meet.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I was told that too. I was also told some people would be paid not to go to work. None of this came true.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Actually, there are quite a few plants far lesser in size and grow-time than trees which can be used for paper-making, but nobody is geared up to use them in their mills on a production-line basis. And the changes that would make to logging vs farming employment aren't that popular either.

Like with gasahol as an example, Sawgrass grows like the weed that it is, and far less petroleum is needed in the farming of it per gallon of alcohol it can produce for fuel, compared to corn, which needs about 1.5 gallons of petroleum burned for every gallon of alcohol produced.

Blessings, both Bright and Dark,
Ananta Androscoggin

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:59 pm
Profile E-mail