View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:29 am

Faith 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Faith
A friend said she was always being bullied by other people of her faith as how to practice her faith and wonder if any one had any tips. She is a christian and just wants to practice her way and to not have to be lectured all the time by others.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Faith
Well here is the thing with being a Christian, I myself hold to a Christian Universalist Anglican type of faith and have to be careful who I share that with lest I be lectured although in my case my interest in theology and study both as a hobby and in an academic setting mean I can tend to discuss with other of opposing theological views.

When you read theology one should read theology you also disagree with and even bad theology to better recognise such theology, but I'm getting away from your question Pete, you ask what she can do? Firstly I would ask what does she happen to believe as a Christian, what current setting does she worship in?

This will allow me to better respond to the question.

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some congregations worry a lot about what others think about them. Others develop an don't be nosey or mindyour own business affair.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:45 pm
Profile E-mail

Very little to go on there Pete, yes various congregations will worry about or focus on different things. But I'm guessing you do not wish to put what your friends views are on here so I will attempt to give a broader answer:

For me holding to a Christian Universalist view I have had to focus on small house groups with open or like minded individuals to be able to share or express parts of my faith that are essential, and by nature of being in a Church that actually has a wide range of people from a range of traditions I am able to try and appreciate some of their views.

When I preach it does mean making sure that I touch on things that I know we can all agree on, so my advice to your friend is start there, on the point they can agree usually this is on Christ as saviour etc. From this it can be easier to discern who may share the same views or be more open minded when discussing certain things.

As to how to practise faith, without knowing any detail on how your friends want to practise their faith, its hard to advise, is someone prefers a more Methodist tradition it would mean finding a Methodist Church to worship in, and the same would go for any of the denominations. If your friend is someone who has a distinct form of worship practise in mind it may never happen say in privacy or again in a small house group.

But none of these suggestions may help, nor are they quick and easy to do being part of a small house group requires a level of trust between those members, and starting such groups are hard enough as it is within local churches, but again with more specific details that is the best I could suggest currently.

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Purely from an academic point of view, the Bible is a hodge podge of varying contradictory stories. Therefore faith must be selective. In which case, I would use as a defence, "Do not impose your selective interpretation on me."

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

True. I joined an anti gay conversation from Northern Ireland. They were so sure of themselves. I soon had them running with an alternative version of the interpretation. Funny really but we are trained in saying not how I see it.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:15 pm
Profile E-mail

There are those who think for themselves, and there are others who let others think for them.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can live and let live providing they live and let others. Beyond that I do not care.

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Tell your friend to join on here. No one on here preaches this way or that and no one on here so far as I've noticed is judgemental at all on how anyone practices their faith or non faith.

Love, Life and energy to you

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:55 pm
Profile E-mail

Well in principle. But I think we are currently struggling. We may have never met, and some of us never will. But,I often wonder, who are we that are so casual in our friendships? There are and have been so many people I have discoursed with that have faded away. Where are they in their lives that they forget us? Are they still alive? Have we lost friends? (I am fairly sure we have) An annual circular would be nice. Perhaps a note in your Will to let us know.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:03 pm
Profile E-mail