View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi I'm Tom! Nice to meet you! 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Hi I'm Tom! Nice to meet you!
I've run a mental health support group "Mayday Self Help Groups" https://sites.google.com/site/maydayselfhelpgroups/home for nearly 25 years and this has felt very much a pastoral ministry, to share a sacramental ministry too, is where I feel led. I don't see "Magic Touch" / Apostolic Succession as necessary, neither do I believe in ontological change, though I do believe in a life long process of converted life through dedication, practice and service.

It's like coming full circle in many ways. I started out at 18 joining a roman catholic benedictine monastery. I had felt very uncomfortable about my sexuality and often felt overwhelmed by the pace of life so a simple monastic life was very appealing. I spent a month assessing if I wanted to join, which was very special to me and I was quietly confident when I joined in September of 1987. After about a month a lad joined having left another community. Thirty years on I feel very differently about what transpired but the result at the time was that I left to explore my sexuality and a Church more open to LGBT+ issues. My sexuality continued to be uncomfortable in that I found myself unable to settle down on either side of the fence. I considered that the monastery may have been the right choice afterall and wondered if things would have been different had this particular person not joined! Religion was put somewhat on the backburner. There was no internet then and finding out that there are indeed many Churches, including "Old Catholics" where I might have found a home and ministry did not happen but I did learn a little about eastern mysticism and neo paganism which grants me aspects I may not have received otherwise and for which I am grateful! The journey continues! I feel new inspiration and look forward to journeying with you good folks and whoever / whatever comes along! To attempt to seek justice but perhaps in reality it will just stand as a warning to others to go in with their eyes open, I wrote a blog to highlight what happened in the monastery as the lad is now The Abbott!!! http://anotherabbotextraordinary.blogsp ... inary.html

What I want to do long-term is find premises suitable to both run and expand my Mental Health support group, taking in a broader range of those looking for practical and spiritual help, through the new monastic vision as expounded in messrs bucko and mcentee "New Monastic Manifesto" where the transcendant vision of that which raises us above ourselves is engendered and promoted to all regardless of whether or how they call God or not. For myself, services with a catholic bent, would be up my street. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 281%29.pdf

Recently I applied but was unsuccessful in a convent giveaway near Bungay in Suffolk and again missed out on a former salvation army citadel for only £6,000 a year in Brightlingsea, Essex. The convent would have allowed the creation of a residential "New Monastery" and genuine modern asylum for those in my group for whom independence is a life sentence of loneliness and relapse.... In the short to medium term, it would be nice to see if there is anyone local who shares my spiritual outlook and would be interested in meeting up for worship / learning discussion and social... but for now, it's good to be here! Namaste!

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:30 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Hi I'm Tom! Nice to meet you!
You are right welcome even though I chuckled at your phrase 'services with a catholic bent'. (My favourite episode of Father Ted is Dougal and the Bishops). I think dogma is a crutch for people who can't handle reality. As STP said, we are Pan Narans. We need the stories. I am a Quantum Apprentice. I think your stories are probably more manageable than mine.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:19 pm
Profile E-mail

“The anthropologists got it wrong when they named our species Homo sapiens ('wise man'). In any case it's an arrogant and bigheaded thing to say, wisdom being one of our least evident features. In reality, we are Pan narrans, the storytelling chimpanzee.”

(― Terry Pratchett, The Science of Discworld II: The Globe)

That Would Be an Ecumenical Matter!

"The Tentacles Of Doom" One of my favourite Fr Ted. :bish:

I'm a trainee life management system engineer, always looking to deepen my knowledge and gain wisdom from learning through the experience of others and sharing what I have retained and mused upon if called for. Hoping to produce a mutually beneficial and cathartic experience.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:46 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Just checking in. I have some sea chanties on a different channel. Just as I get to you, Stan Rodgers comes on with Barrats Privateers. In a funny old sort of way. I think, yep, 'bout right.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Toom, welcome to the forum.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Tom. Welcome to the forum. I wish you good fortune in your endeavor, it is a great asset to the local community.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:09 pm
Profile E-mail WWW