View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:30 pm

ULC UK- Shop courses etc 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post ULC UK- Shop courses etc
I was just curious and wondering about the eventual ability of us here in the UK being able to offer our fellow UK ministers anything similar to that of the Seminary, in that they have some fine items, the ULC ministers badge, ULC New Testament bibles, ULC Notepad as well as the courses.

While I have paid for items such as the aforementioned ULC Ministers lapel badge it of course can be said that a £4.44 badge which is a fair price I think becomes nearly £30 about £28 with shipping now I'm not against paying postage charges but thinking with my head hear it would be better for those of us in the UK to be able to purchase items and enroll in courses closer to home. (better in economical terms)

So I am just wondering what if any thing could possibly come if we or more specifically this site did some of those things, of course I realize there would be some cost involved and no doubt legalities, so I don't know but just wondering really and obviously thinking of the pennies.

Just a thought

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: ULC UK- Shop courses etc
An interesting thought. I did look into getting badges made up but when I noted that so few posted at that time I changed my mind. There are so many who have joined in the past but never once posted or posted for a short time and then left to be heard of no more. I therefore thought the interest was not high. Maybe time to think again.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:06 am
Profile E-mail

Well I am, obviously the badges are always I think a neat little item. The courses I think are also a good idea in the long run as I have said The Seminary I enjoy it truly is a place for education within in the ULC, and very well done yet one can not help but be a little off put with the cost once postage is included with the price.

Of course the price reflects the cost to send such stuff internationally, but for us in the UK it makes more economical sense to be able to offer the courses from within the UK. I for one would jump at it I'm very interested in doing the Masters in Comparative Religion that the Seminary offer but I don't have the spare amount of money lying around especially when postage is included.

Pete I saw the post you are referring to, I think some may come here and expect well I'm not sure but probably something more along the levels of the set up in America with the seminary and such not. When these people discover just how much work is required to do within in the UK to get recognition and the fact here we are just a forum of like minded people they may loose any enthusiasm.

Others may have been ordained for a laugh, I have seen online the number of people who ridicule the ULC because they made up fake names and got a pet or refrigerator an ordination. Of course when you put it to these people that what they did is fraud they don't seem to get that and say its the ULC fault. You then of course illustrate the ministers who do something with the ordination and again all they see the ULC as is a Joke.

So people who may be interested may be put off by these people, within the UK become unhappy with how much work needs to be done by ULC ministers to get recognition and then there is the general misinformation out on the net. Just as many forums contain posts about the ULC scam and how you pay 12 buck for an ordination then invariably post screen shots from the monastery or other non HQ affiliated site. When you put it to these people that they are not the ULC as the real ULC ordiantions are free they argue the opposite.

So my thinking is part of this solution can be helped if we able to offer something similar to the seminary in terms of items and courses of course like I said I realise there is a bit to do to even offer something like this and no doubt some sort of legalities although I do wonder it be Possible to work out some sort of agreement with the seminary in which we can be a third party supplying their courses as a UK outlet.

But again these are just thoughts but I think it would improve our presence and offer some more local support to the UK ministers. So just some more food for thought

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:21 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of the difficulties we have is that we are not governed by the USA. By this I mean we do not have something like the State of California to recognise any certificiates we do. Not that it has been easy for the ULC in the US. They were taken to court and because it was declared the degrees were religious titles and not academic awards they were allowed to continue. There is also a great deal of protection in the UK over the term degree in the UK which is not so in the US. They have universities which are not academically recognised by the state. I have been approached by people in the UK who are angry that people are being given Doctorates but were unable to do anything about it because they were US qualifications.
Some years back I was annoyed by someone offering a doctorate degree in Counselling and therapy for just a fee. I thought this could lead to an abuse of confidence with vulnerable people being seen by them. I contacted both the UK and the US psychotherapy organisations and neither could do anything about it.
In short I am worried about doing courses over here and calling them degrees. We seem to not have the same protection for Diploma or Certificate but I think we could end up with a legal fight on our hands if we offered degrees here in the way they do in the ULC in the US.
I know they are honoury titles and not academic and churches are able to offer such, but I do not have the means to take this to court should it happen to us. I think if we offered courses they would have to be recognised by the ULC seminary in the US or not called degree to be on the safe side. There are a lot of people who have worked very hard for such academic titles and get pissed with others using such titles. Hence I rarely use the titles given to me even though I know it is okay because it was done in a USA organisation.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:22 am
Profile E-mail

I can understand the Pete and its a very good point given that, it would seem the second thought would be more piratical in coming to an agreement with the Seminary and delivering some of the courses they offer but as a third party, that way we could in theory make sure the ULC in the UK do not offer the courses that only require a fee. But rather the ones that have an examination at the end of them or something along the lines.

I also agree that if we can get an agreement with the Seminary and can start rolling out a few of theses courses that we avoid using terms like degree or make it very clear that the course and subject of study relates to the ULC so for example the Masters in comparative religion and other such courses that require an examination at the end contain the disclaimer of how this is only recognized by the ULC and is about the individual ministers learning and understanding etc.

Obviously if we could get an agreement with the seminary we would avoid offering any of the course that are just titles, we could then ensure at least on our part that we are not contributing to the abuse that you are rightly worried about Pete. I think that if we are to grow within the UK it is something we need to offer and do but obviously in a way we all feel is right and that would be my idea or suggestion really drive home how that why it may say Masters in comparative religion it is an in house thing.

But I would definitely be interested in trying to do this or help you do this if you feel comfortable with my suggestion.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:10 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is not an abuse unless someone tries to pass off a doctorate by the ULC as an academically earned qualification. I know of one well known therapist was recommending that his students get a Doctorate from the ULC so that the initials would make their business cards look impressive. Being as none of the ULC qualifications done by the ULC have anything to do with psychotherapy I see such recommendations as deception or even fraud.
Many of the qualifications by ministers in the US are honorary titles given by their churches and the ULC decided to do the same to put ULC ministers on an equal footing. Kirby got annoyed that people were saying they were the real ministers because they have qualifications by their church. He then made some of his own for the ULC.
If you want to look into producing a course I suggest talking to Amy at the seminary or Rev Mark who is also a member of this forum.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:06 pm
Profile E-mail

I may do that Pete, TBH I brought it up only because it made like I said an economical sense to perhaps having a UK base for some of the courses. I myself am greatly interested in the comparative religion masters that is on offer by the seminary because there is some actual work involved as opposed to just pay and get it sort of thing. I have interest in that but also seeing some more courses on offer that even may require a paper to be written etc.

But that is getting ahead of myself, I always subscribe I think as a lot of people do that learning is a lifelong process. I think the idea of courses being offered by the Seminary are fantastic and getting some of those to be done by the UK ULC would I think be a good thing. But as you say I will certainly speak to either or both Mark and Amy to see if it is even a possibility.

Though I may wait till after the Christmas period but thank you Pete it is always nice to discuss and talk with you. In case I am not before Christmas as it is a busy time I'm sure for us all please allow me to wish you and all those within the forum a Very Merry Christmas and to all your families have a good one.

Rob.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I did the courses on comparative religion and also on religious philosophy. Some of the others I struggled with because they were conservative in nature. Each to their but it pays to be careful if your not of that leaning and paying for a course.

There is lots of free course like this one by Yale University:- http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152#sessions
and lots more on you tube.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Given my idea and own belief I to would struggle with more conservative viewpoint. indeed each to their own I doubt I would do very many conservative in nature type courses. Being taught in a Roman Catholic Secondary school I am fully aware of many conservative viewpoints. I enjoyed my time in secondary school RE was my best subject and I enjoyed the debates that would be had, but also the debate between student and teacher fantastic stuff.

My RE teacher would get different teachers to come in on a debate it fostered the sense of one to have their own ideas and belief and interpretation of the bible, tbh all teachers in the school were very liberal Catholics with only two who had strict conservative views and one who was very literal. It was always telling when they debated the fury and anger they had when i argued was actualy very telling then you tell them there behavior isnt very Christian and then they really go off on one condemning this and burn that.

It was a time in my life of great discovery for me and I always I am thankful for my time their.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I grew up in a fundamentalist family. Never thought to challenge the church but I could not get my head around sending all those lovely people to hell because they had a so called wrong belief. Later I saw the way the church persecuted gay people. I went to a counselling course on pastoral counselling and was told that I that I had to counsel gay people to get over being gay before working on anything that brought them to the session. Being trained in counselling I was aware that this is a betrayal of trust. People who come for help do so on their agenda and not on mine or that of the beliefs of a church. Also working as a Nurse for years I was aware that being gay was not a choice and that counselling would not have any affect on the persons gender. I happened to say I did not believe counselling could change anyone who was gay and I felt the who idea of counselling their being gay as unprofessional. This caused a reaction and I was sent to Coventry and people were kept away from by the teacher. This went on for a while before I just had to leave. At the time this was a painful event but in time it allowed me to question things and find out for myself. I now do not care what they think and feel they are just bigoted and narrow minded.

Hey did you check out the link above?

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 pm
Profile E-mail